(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Welcome

As a big foodie I'm always looking for new restaurants. Lincoln has come a long way in that regard but there's still an Applebee's on every corner. On top of that, reviews or articles on new Lincoln restaurants are tough to find. Jeff Korbelik's features on restaurants in the Journal-Star's Friday Ground Zero supplement aren't, and Jeff has admitted as much, really reviews. I understand that. A bad review in the only place to find information about restaurants in Lincoln would be unfair in that the restaurant would be dead before it had a chance to make positive changes.

The Daily Nebraskan's food critic is definitely a critic and while J.J.'s reviews are fun to read and typically give a real picture of how good or bad a restaurant is, J.J. tends to enjoy eviscerating the place just for the sake of it. Think Homer Simpson's reviews for the Springfield Shopper but with less "chewy?" and more references to old Europe and you'd be on the right track.

Here on the internets, though, I'd like to provide Lincoln Eaters with a more realistic view of what they can expect before they head out on the town. I can't afford to eat out every night or go out for lunch everyday so contributions are encouraged. Did you have a great meal at Venue? A so-so lunch at Duggan's? Did you drive down to the Black Crow in Beatrice only to have Ray tell you how great Bill Bennett is? Let me know about your experience.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new site! I finally got you added to the blogroll over at Lincolnite.

9:33 AM  
Blogger justaddlipgloss said...

Cool site, looking forward to reviews.

Someone just reccomended The Black Crow to me last week, will have to get back to you on my experience.

I *love* eating local, and was very disappointed that the Studio Cafe and Baciami recently closed, also El Salvador (the only place for papusas in town ;(

11:44 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Thanks for visiting lipgloss. I really like the Black Crow but haven't been there in over a year. It's worth the drive.

I never did get to El Salvador.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I didn't have the best job in the world: getting paid to eat at restaurants and write about them in the paper, my site would probably be just like yours. "Get over your Applebee's fixation" -- yes! I couldn't be more on board. One comment: I don't enjoy eviscerating restaurants, but I enjoy reading the word eviscerating. I'm trying to take my edge off, but some places are simply horrible. Plus, if I don't rage against the chains, who will?
Email me: jotaharder@hotmail.com

11:04 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

This is a great idea and one that I've been hoping to see for quite awhile.

I'll definitely pitch in when possible.

By the way. J.J.? I like your style: "I want to spit on them and commit “A Clockwork Orange”- style ultra violence. I want them to be banished from the face of the earth and sent to the dark depths of Hades. I never want to see them with my own eyes, at least not here in Nebraska."

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home