(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Best of Lincoln?

While Jeff Korbelik doesn't play favorites very often in his reviews he still knows good food when he tastes it. Jeff analyzed the annual KFOR Best of Lincoln rankings in the last Ground Zero and he's pretty dead-on in his re-rankings.

His steak rankings were pretty solid. I especially liked that he put Marz at number 2 because the Steak Le Bleu there is mouthwatering. The KFOR pizza and Mexican rankings were laughable. The people of Lincoln had La Paz, Carlos O'Kelly's and Tico's as the top three Mexican places which ignored all the terrific Mexican-owned restaurants in town. Jeff's re-ranking in that category was pretty solid - La Mexicana, D'Leon's and El Rancho in that order.

The KFOR pizza rankings were just as bad - Valentino's, Pizza Hut and Godfather's. While Lincoln doesn't have many decent pizza places, Yia Yia's is always the best bet. Jeff put Venue in his pizza rankings which I found interesting. Even if Venue makes great pizza, no one really goes there for pizza. I'd like to try Venue again but I had a so-so meal there last New Year's Eve and haven't really wanted to go back.

It also appears Lincolnites don't know from a decent sandwich. KFOR's list had Subway at #1 with two other bland chains behind it. Jeff had M & N, Maggie's and the Manhattan Deli. I'd probably reorder those to Manhattan Deli, M & N and Maggie's if only because the M & N's owners are a bit cranky. Plus, Manhattan Deli has the best pastrami in town. The pastrami reuben there is to die for.

What other quibbles do you have with either set of rankings? Is there a restaurant you like that's not getting enough love from Lincolnites?

5 Comments:

Blogger Swoof said...

That's gotta be a record. I put this blog on-line less than an hour ago and got comment spam on this post almost immediately.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"M & N's owners are a bit cranky".

Heh. That's an understatement. He doesn't exactly have the greatest personality but has been nice to me whenever I go in. I usually go for the burger with pastrami and chili.

I have to disagree with De Leon's as a top 3. Don't get me wrong. I am definitely a fan of the DL, but the beans are too salty. Seriously, the tacos and burritos and other items are darn good. But overly salted food is my number one turn-off. I would like to eat some refried beans, and not a saltlick.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

You found this quick, Mr T.

Having thought about it, I'd probably rank El Rancho above D'Leon's. Of course, DL's is more fast food.

I haven't noticed the saltiness of the beans at DL's. Of course, I really really love salt. The beans at El Rancho are out of this world, though.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

First, if you want to beat the comment spam, turn on word verification in your settings.

Second, since you asked, I have to share: My favorite restaurant in Lincoln (and anywhere, really) is the Thai House, on 27th Street just off of Vine. It's definitely not getting enough love here in Lincoln. (To think that some people only eat at Thai Garden downtown makes me sad). So if you like Thai food and you haven't eaten there before, you should go to Thai House. And if you don't like Thai food, well, start. My favorite dish is the massaman curry with tofu. Also love the tom yum tofu and the pad thai tofu.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Ben, thanks for commenting. I forgot about word verification and I'll turn it on if it gets any worse. My other blog on Movable Type gets hit far worse.

As far as Thai places in Lincoln, you are correct. Thai House is far and away the best. Thai Garden is convenient for more downtown lunchers and nighttime moviegoers/drinkers but it isn't very good. I've had the massaman curry there and it's good but one of my favorite foods of any cuisine is pad Thai so I almost always order that when I go to Thai House.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home