(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Late night food

It's after 4 a.m. and I'm about ready to hit the sack without food, but a very fresh Google search that hit this site was wondering about food in Lincoln after 3 a.m. I can think of the Hiway Diner and it's smoking bus...er, Freedom Flyer, but other than that I suggest cruising by a 24-hour grocery store and grabbing some eggs, onions, cheese and as many other veggies as you find palatable and making a frittata. If you can't wait for some great home-cooked egginess, there's alway the 24-hour McDonald's drive-thru or D'Leon's.

Other suggestions?

11 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Irvin said...

I think it was the folks from Mercy Rule who used to rave about the late-night food at a place on the north side of Cornhusker Hiway somewhere 'tween 27th & 48th. Traveller's Cafe, maybe?

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. Virginia's Traveler's Cafe. Not bad. My brother and I ate there on Saturday mornings. Since we switched to Tina's (7th and South streets) we have not gone back to Virginia's for our Saturday morning ritual.

Tina's is by far the best breakfast joint in town.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if they are open 24 hours anymore, but I've recently discovered a nice breakfast skillet at Village Inn. Diced potatoes, eggs, veggies with a hollandaise sauce and a jalapeno for good measure.

Pretty slim pickin's in Lincoln for restaurants at that hour.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Village Inn closes for a few hours every morning, either 2-4 or 3-5 or some combination of those. I'm incapable of ordering anything other than a skillet when I got to VI no matter what the hour. The chicken fried steak skillet is my goto food for hangovers.

I think D'Leon's and McDonald's have kind of taken conrol of late night grub in this town. I don't know if they do it anymore but I remember seeing the 48th & R McDonald's offering a ridiculously cheap deal for 100 mcnuggets and several large fries if ordered after 1 am.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is also Burger King 24/7 of course. Personally I find the King to be sort of nasty. I ate one of their angus steak burgers the other day which people seem to like. I thought it was one of the grossest items BK has on its menu and will not try another.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Gunscribe said...

Just as a suggestion and not necessarily a recommendation;

Sapp Brothers Truck Stop on the west edge of town (O st) is 24/7. Depending on the cook on duty at the time they have been known to put out a decent plate of food.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Gunscribe said...

Let me correct my last comment.

The place I was referring to is Shoemakers Truck Stop not Sapp Brothers.

The i Way diner on Highway 2 has decent food with excellent portions for te price for those late night/early morning hunger pangs.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i am new to Lincoln, and I was wondering what good fast food/casual restaurants are opened past 11 pm on non-friday/saturday day. And also are there any coffee shops that are open late late night or 24 hours? Thanks much.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out the dead site, anon. There are plenty of good recommendations in the comments above. Virginia's Traveler's Cafe out on Cornhusker Highway is good. There are a couple of D'Leon's locations open really late if not 24 hours if you're craving Mexican food. Then there's VI and Perkins. Downtown late night is limited to the places along O St but you can get a pretty good gyro or sandwich at 14th & O late at night.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. I'll be sure to pass by those places. :)

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Note's Of Life said...

Hy ... I'm Just A Student Who In the Beginning In 2011 Attempt Falls Into This Blogging World, Exactly I Want to Share Notes - Notes Yang Probably Came From My Own Nor From Various Sources

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home