(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Don & Millie's

Sarah woke me up before noon on Sunday and suggested we go out to lunch. I rolled over, conscious of my late morning hunger and countered with Don & Millie's and that's where we went. I hadn't been to Don & Millie's since 1991 when my mom was finishing nursing school at Bryan so I don't know what put that restaurant in my head. I drive by the place once a week on my way home from the 56th & Hwy 2 Supersaver and lately it has kind of caught my attention so maybe that was it.

Don & Millie's is a nice place - Clean, easy to get to, jumping with the Sunday after church crowd. The oldschool jukebox you see when you walk in is a bit much. Rock and Roll Runza closed. Continuing to mimic them doesn't give you any cred with the Boomers.

Ordering was easy. Like most places the most popular sandwiches are paired with fries and a drink. Sarah and I both ordered the cheeseburger and fries basket. I got my burger with bacon and Sarah upgraded hers to lettuce, tomato and mayo and further upgraded from fries to baked potato soup.

The burgers were pretty good. They were obviously handmande patties made with mostly real beef, and they tasted like it. Aside from the Patty Melt at the Parkway Pub and cheepass burger Thursday at P.O. Pear's , you probably won't find a better burger in Lincoln. My burger tasted beefy and that's all I can expect. Sarah's, with all the extra stuff, kind of fell apart like the old Hardee's $5 burger, but what can you expect with all that crap on your burger.

I was surprised by how good the fries were. I expected Runza crinkle-kut but got skinny little McDonald's looking fries. The difference is, these fries were hot and crispy. They seemed to have a bit of breading but not to the disastrous level that Burger King attempted a few years back in order to compete with McDonald's.

Sarah's baked potato soup was good but the $1 price upgrade probably wasn't worth it. It was basically creamy potato soup with bacon and cheese added. It's good for replicating at home but not worth paying a premium for when you just want to eat a good burger.

The burgers at Don & Millie's are well worth the visit. I saw a plate of nachos go by halfway through my meal and wished I'd ordered those but maybe I'll get back to that place before another 14 years go by.

Despite their offering of $.99 longnecks and margaritas I abstained from drinking beer on an early Sunday afternoon.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I've seen a crapload of comment and trackback spam today. The spammers must've really kicked it in gear overnight. Anyway...

I love Don & Millie's. It's not far from the house, so The Missus and I get there once a month or so. I think D&M's is a hidden gem among Lincoln's fast food crowd. It ain't fine dining, but it'll do.

I think you're off-target on your jukebox criticism. Well, that's fine if you don't like jikeboxes. But D&M's isn't doing it to mimic R&R Runza. D&M's had a jukebox long before R&RR showed up, if I remember correctly. D&M's is mimicking the old King's, not R&RR.

I've heard good things about the nachos at D&M's, but I've never tried them myself. I'm a chili cheese dog and cheese frenchee kind of guy. Healthy stuff.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Heh, Blogger spam is funny. Blogger has an update ticker on the main page so usually I get spam within a minute of posting but then it stops. I've deleted all the others but the guy selling science fair projects was just too precious.

I stand corrected re: the jukebox. I had a negative reaction to it because when I walked in there were about 8 kids crawling all over it and it made it difficult to get close enough to read the menu. They could at least put it in a different place.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably nobody is going to see this comment at this point, but I gotta disagree with you about the potato soup. It was succulent and well worth the extra dollar. You forgot to mention the green onions-- yum!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I have to agree with the burger assessment. Great burgers at Don and Millie's, Parkway Pub and P.O. Pears.

The curly fries at Pears are awesome too. You have to watch Pears though, they sometimes undercook the burgers - I prefer my hamburger cooked medium well.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd recommend the chicken strips at Don & Millie's. They are pretty much as good as chicken strips get, right up there with Arbys, before they stopped making them.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah right best burger in lincoln is from hi-way diner

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home