(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Planet Sub

When Planet Sub (Flash Warning) opened downtown next to BW3, The Coffee House and Bison Witches, the initial reaction from the lunch crowd was that it took way too long. Stories of 30 minute waits (at least) were common. Even a month after they opened a co-worker went there for lunch and got the last sandwich before they ran out of bread.

Well, I've still never been to Planet Sub for lunch but I've been there several times in the evening in the last couple of months and it's been terrific every time. So far I've had a Pesto Bello Combo, Buffalo Chicken, Yellow Sub, Pastrami Melt, and Turkey Club and they've all been some of the best sandwiches I've had outside of M & N Sandwich Shop and Manhattan Deli's Rachel (a pastrami Reuben). Plus, Planet Sub has daily $3 specials, $1 off coupons on their website, and late night specials for people looking for an alternative to gyros, Wiener Envy, Lazzaris or Amigos after the bars close.

As far as the sandwiches go, the Pesto Bello Combo was delicious but very sloppy. The toppings include Cheddar, Mozzarella, Roasted Portobello Mushrooms, Fresh Red Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Tomato-Garlic Pesto and then you can add two meats. I chose Italian Sausage and spicy Capicola. With that much on the sandwich, it's going to be defiantly sloppy and that should be expected. The Buffalo Chicken was much better than other Buffalo flavored chicken sandwiches I've had elsewhere. I had the Pastrami Melt last weekend and it totally hit the spot and several places on my shirt as well. I'd like to see them replace the pepperjack with Swiss on that sandwich though.

So, I like it a lot but I haven't tried to eat there for lunch. Does anyone have any insights about Planet Sub's lunch service?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went there a few months back in the middle of the summer. Luckily, we got there before 12 on purpose to avoid the long lines. The sandwiches were good (can't remember what I ordered exactly) and somewhat more creative than those at Doozy's and Subway IMHO. The thing that really killed me though was that like some other restaurants, they feel a need to blast music at level 11 for some reason. Otherwise, a decent experience. But I'll avoid it at peak hours since the students are back.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Beerorkid said...

oh man pastrami? Is it good?
my two fav places for a good pastrami sammy is m&n and manhatten deli.
do they make it juicy?

well I guess i will have to find out.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home