(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, February 03, 2008

And now...

I have a couple more reviews of places I've been to recently in the works but I'm going to be in northern Wisconsin trying to find something for dinner other than bratwurst until Friday.

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer to a question that's been bugging me for awhile now. Why doesn't Lincoln or Omaha have a churrascaria restaurant? I've seen Brazilian steakhouses in cities smaller than Lincoln and they're huge hits. Who (except for vegetarians) wouldn't like an eat-meat-til-you-can't-move experience of beef tenderloin, pork loin, ribs, lamb chops, chicken and sausage, especially here in Nebraska?

In that same vein, why doesn't Lincoln or Omaha have an Ethiopian restaurant? I guess I've been to a Sudanese place in Omaha that serves similar fare but it's more of a neighborhood hangout that serves the Ethiopian-style fare alongside the ubiquitous kebabs and gyros.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you called it "an eat-meat-til-you-can't-move experience of beef tenderloin, pork loin, ribs, lamb chops, chicken and sausage" restaurant, it'd be a hit. But call it Churrascaria, and you've just scared off 75% of Lincolnites. And try explaining to a midwesterner that Brazilian isn't the same as Mexican.

Ethiopian food has similar problems. For one thing, Ethiopian food sounds foreign and scary. Once you get beyond that, you've got to overcome the "What, they serve single grains of rice?" jokes.

Generally speaking, Lincolnites just aren't adventurous. We like comfortable, reliable food. We'll allow the occasional "foreign" restaurant into our definition of "comfortable", but it doesn't happen often.

Now if Chile's started serving it, then we could talk...

9:13 AM  
Blogger Beerorkid said...

Those places look so awesome. I saw one on the food channel and licked the screen.

A friend I chat with online lives in Brasil and sent me pictures of his rotisserie.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you'll be leaving before you can enjoy a Wisconsin Friday night fish-fry. I still can't find anything that compares in NE.

Ethiopian food sounds very good right now but I'd love to get some good Jamaican eats in Lincoln.

I guess I was spoiled growing up in the Peoples Republic of Madison. :)

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They've got a Jamaican restaurant in Cedar Falls, IA, which is a LOT smaller than Lincoln. I like that idea.

I also like the Ethiopian food suggestion at all. That would be a very nice addition.

Personally I would love a great Malaysian place in town, but at the same time I realize there are a lot of places to get Asian (or "Asian-like") food in town already. An Ethiopian, Jamaican, or Brazilian place would be a novel addition.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Wisco,

Luckily I was in central Wisconsin for Ash Wednesday. There were plenty of places doing Friday fish fries all week.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

M. Wilson,

The thing that bugs me is that there are places that Lincolnites think of as backward like Arkansas that have Brazilian steak houses. The last time I was in Sioux Falls there was an Ethiopian place doing pretty well. It doesn't taste that different from what the Oven serves after all, and they don't charge you an arm and a leg for extra bread.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Katie Joseph said...

I would love to have a Churrascaria in Lincoln. The one we were at in Campo Grande had an amazing variety of meats -- so much so that our host/translator gave up on identifying the parts after a while and just said, "More cow."

The thing I love about meat done and served that way is that you get some nice char on the outside and rare on the inside. The grilled pineapple still lives on in my memory.

I was a vegetarian at the time, but tried a little of everything that came by. This includes chicken hearts, which were surprisingly good. Amos brought up an interesting question, though: the giant skewers probably fit about a hundred chicken hearts. There wasn't a hundred chickens worth of meat in the place, and at least five such skewers. Whence, pray tell, the hearts?

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home