(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Where not to eat

Brookfield, Wisconsin, is Milwaukee's big suburb to the west. Brookfield is west Omaha without the attitude. No sushi, no Indian, no tapas. Brookfield is where everyone works but then goes anywhere else to eat. I ate lunch at places like Panera everyday but there was no place I wanted to go for dinner. I ordered veggie burgers and fries from room service for dinner every night.

Pacific Wok - I was driving I-94 between Brookfield and Schaumburg, IL, on Thursday and I was really hungry. I finally pulled over at the last Kenosha exit. I passed by Texas Roadhouse (coming soon to that space near Lowe's) because I didn't want to fill up on peanuts and BW3 because I'd had wings for lunch in Wisconsin once before.

Pacific Wok sounded fresh and Asian and just what I needed for lunch. I was just looking for healthy food at this point and that they had. I got a bowl of chicken and rice and it wasn't good but it wasn't bad either; kind of like how all Japanese food except for miso is.

Then I was presented with this thing called a Steamroller. It was all wrapped up in plastic wrap. It was a steamed whole wheat tortilla filled with traditional eggroll filling. In other words, I had a tube of glue. Gross. It's no wonder Pacific Wok only has two locations and neither are within 20 miles of Milwaukee, Chicago or Madison.

New posts at teh otro bl00g, too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, did you just say Texas Roadhouse is coming to Lincoln? Oh man, Lincolnites will eat that place up (so to speak).

Random trivia: One of my son's first restaurant experiences was at a Texas Roadhouse somewhere outside of Boston. He slept on the table the entire time.

By the way, have you ever heard someone with a Boston accent try to do a Texas drawl? It sounds just as hilarious as you might expect.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Ha, yeah. the first time I ever ate at Texas Roadhouse I found myself thinking, Why isn't there one of these in Lincoln? Then I stopped out at Lowe's looking for a nozzle for a power sprayer and saw one was being built in the parking lot.

I actually know a woman from Boston who spent many, many years in Texas. Even the natural Boston/Texas combo is pretty hilarious. I chuckle a little every time she gets really excited and drawls her r's out way beyond anything I've ever heard before.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home