(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Food costs

I've been out of town for pretty much the last ten days so I haven't had to go to the grocery store yet but I'm dreading it. As I wrote a couple of months ago the price of gas is creating an upward pressure on food prices that can't be ignored.

A more recent example of this is the rising sales of Spam. I'm at a loss here. Whenever I looked at Spam at the grocery store I always thought it seemed kind of pricey for what you were getting but apparently people are eating it up as a cheaper alternative to something else. I wonder what the price of Treet is right now?

Seriously though. Food prices are going crazy and besides Spam people are finding ways to make it work. Talking to my dad recently he said people in his little square of rural Nebraska are reverting to a barter economy in some ways. Eggs, milk, pork and beef and the like are being traded back and forth like it was 1770.

When I shop for groceries now, I buy potatoes, eggs, whole wheat pasta and frozen veggies. I'd love to buy baby bok choy, fresh fish, and prime rib but my grocery budget is even smaller than it was a few months ago. No wonder I don't review restaurants in Lincoln much anymore.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ain't it the truth! Every time I go to the store the price of my staples has gone up. And not just a few cents!

My income has, unfortunately, not gone up, so we're finding ways to trim everywhere, including at the grocery store.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Baby bok choy is like 99 cents for 8 at Vino, but then you get into the whole issue of the gas to go to the extra store...

11:11 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

is Vino the one by Pho Ngyuenn or the one by Long John's.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

and yeah, i'm probably not going to drive across town for exotic ingredients if can't cook at home.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It's the one by Pho Nguyenn. I know they have them cheap at the one by Thai House too. Saute them with sesame oil and soy sauce and eat with steamed rice. Cheap and good.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home