(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

My dinner tonight

Maybe the simplest thing I've ever made but one of the best.

I had a big, beautiful portabello mushroom with stem. I cut the stem, slathered them both with olive oil, black pepper and garlic (no salt since salt leaches moisture and I wanted my mushroom to be moist) then put them on an oiled sheet pan. I put a pan of water in the oven beneath the sheet pan to add some moisture to the atmosphere then let the mushroom roast/steam for an hour at 250°.

At the end of the hour I pulled the cap and stem, sliced them both then laid them on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce and topped it with kosher salt and cracked pepper. The hot mushroom added a little bit of wilt to the lettuce but I didn't add any dressing at all. The liquid from the mushroom, garlicky and peppery, coated the lettuce beneath it enough that dressing was unnecessary. The mushroom itself was one of the best I've had. I've grilled them (always too dry) and roasted them (also too dry) and sauteed them (boring and flavorless) but the addition of the pan of water and lack of salt made the difference.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beerorkid said...

might have to try that. I love mushrooms but mostly sautee them.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yum. This sounds really good.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home