(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Monday, September 22, 2008

Breakfast at Russ's

I moved back to the old 'hood over a month and a half ago. When Jack Jackson suggested breakfast at Russ's Market (the original at 17th & Washington that I still usually refer to as B & R which means either Bums and Rummies or Bugs and Roaches depending upon who you ask) before he drove me to the airport so I could go pick up my new car I was a little skeptical.

I've had breakfast at Russ's at least once a weekend since I've been in the neighborhood and it is always perfect. Nothing costs over $5 although I did note this past Sunday morning that a few items had gone from $3.99 to $4.59.

My favorite is the chicken-fried steak breakfast with two eggs, hash browns and two slices of buttery rye toast. A couple of weekends ago I tried to branch out and had the chicken tender skillet. All the skillet meals are served with two eggs and toast along with enough fried potatoes and gravy for two people. The hearty breakfast features two slices of bacon and two sausage patties along with the hash browns, two eggs and toast.

You really can't go wrong with breakfast at Russ's Market and it's kind of fun to sit there with all my fellow cranky old men reading the newspaper and cursing Wall Street.

The best thing though, is that no matter how you order your eggs, they're always perfect. I'm an over-easy guy myself and I just can't do 'em like that at home. I've also tried them poached and scrambled and they always do it just right.

One of my pet peeves about breakfast places is that many of the cooks think scrambled eggs means cooking the eggs as fast as you can and then chopping them up so they look scrambled. Scrambled eggs take time, more time than any other breakfast egg prep if they're done right and the cooks at Russ's do them right.

I'll probably continue to make Russ's breakfast a weekly ritual. Since I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast every other day of the week I think it's a good trade-off.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The $1.50 special of 2 eggs, toast, and coffee is great. Maybe I'll catch you there one of these days.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Maybe we should meet for breakfast some Saturday or Sunday, Mr. T.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Swoof said...

I wish they'd serve good coffee there. I usually just get water and drink my Cultiva coffee at home before and after breakfast.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can say confidently from witnessing others order it, do not get the ribeye special. It is served on stryo plates and with plastic knives. Rather comoedic in the eating.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends, that sounds like a good idea. What time do you usually go?

7:13 PM  
Blogger avabee said...

After reading this I decided to check it out--it's been like 15 years since I've eaten there.

I went with a friend. He got 2 eggs, toast and coffee. I got 2 eggs, toast, coffee and hash browns. The grand total, with tax, was $4.03 for two people! I couldn't believe it.

And you were right about the eggs. I ordered mine soft-scrambled and they did a really good job on them.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been doing scrambled eggs for my dad two weeks now on Sundays.

Key: scramble the eggs with pepper and sea salt, and some milk. Proportions don't seem to matter much. Cook them on low with butter (again, proportions don't seem to matter much) for a long time, constantly stirring. After at least 10 min. you have the best scrambled eggs I've had yet.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Swoof said...

Times vary, Mr. T. I'm usually up really early at least one morning every weekend.

Jack, that's how I do my eggs but I don't salt until the end because salt leaches moisture out of the eggs during cooking.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a problem with moisture, but I only add a tiny pinch of salt and let people add salt at the table.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also done eggs with milk and they do turn out well. I've even added water before and they fluff nicely. I try and add some shredded cheese if I have any on hand as well.

I knew a guy who used to put garlic salt in his scrambled eggs as well. Sounds strange, but it DID have an appeal.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother and I meet for breakfast on Saturday mornings and we have been to Russ's two or three times in the last couple of months. It really is a great deal and a good food.

I got the skillet the last time and it was enormous! I couldn't eat it all. My only complaint was that the heaping pile of potatoes needed a moisture maker of some kind once the eggs were gone. Next time I'll take the leftovers home rather than let them go to waste.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of scrambled eggs, I've always been a low and slow guy. Out of curiosity I raised the heat last time. A little butter and some eggs and I threw them into the pan. It sizzled right away (kinda caught me off guard) and I stirred my heart out. They were done surprisingly fast but they turned out great! I just got them out of the pan before they were overdone.

My secret ingredient for scrambled eggs is just a touch of asiago cheese. What a great complement!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home